Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas Lapse

Twenty five days since I last posted an entry eh!? pheeeeew, lots to catch up on then, I'll split it into sections so you're not overwhelmed!

Christmas Party in Tanashi
I don't actually work in Tanashi, but I've done a few cover shifts there and know a few of the teachers, as well as the receptionist and manager there as a result. I finished work on Saturday 16th and despite having a stinking cold got ready in record time and caught the train down there. Only planned to have a few drinks because of the aforementioned sniffles, but as with most nights the unplanned ones are usually the best. I briefly went to the school to find everyone was already well on their way, especially the school manager who doesn't really drink, then we were led down the street to a karaoke bar.
Fourteen of us crammed into one room and started singing and taking advantage of the 'Nomihodi' on offer (not sure of the spelling here but its basically paying a set amount and drinking as much as you want for a period of time, in this case we paid about £14 each and got karaoke and as many drinks as you want for 2 hours). After this 2 hours was up we got another 2 hours, then went to an Izakaya (basically a traditional type restaurant - ie. shoes off, small dishes and various drinks). Eventually headed home at about 5:30am, not in the most sober state but certainly not as bad as most people there!
I stupidly decided to get a couple of hours sleep before I went to work (never do this...ever...people had warned me against it but I thought 1.5 hours would revive me). What actually happened was I fell into a deep gin induced sleep and the 6 alarms that I set on my phone around 5 minutes apart from each other failed to wake me. I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing and as I answered noticed it was 10:05am.....five minutes after the start of my first scheduled lesson and an hour and five minutes after I was supposed to be in work!! Raced down to work in record time looking fairly haggard. Luckily as I'm such a nice guy and a good teacher (modest too eh!) another teacher had taken my first lesson for me and the receptionist hadn't followed the procedure of phoning head office. Consequently there were no kickbacks from the event. Only thing I had to do was apologise profusely to the secretary, thank the the other teacher, then struggle through 4 hours of teaching.

No comments: