Thursday, November 23, 2006

Karaoke

(No pictures for these few updates, either didn't take any or they didn't come out very well as it was dark.....so use your imagination!)

Last Wednesday I went out with a few people for a bit of Karaoke, first time in Japan.....first time ever in fact! I've been pretty drunk in the past and still retained the judgement to determine that my voice is not good and singing in public would not do me any favours. Bit different in Japan though, not quite as daunting.

Instead of being in a bar and in front of the entire drinking community many of whom you don't know, karaoke in Japan is in a small private soundproof room with just the people in your group. As such the possibility of embarrassment is reduced somewhat...little or no chance of heckling either! Also helps that the majority of Japanese people understandably aren't that good at singing in English due to problems pronouncing letters such as R and L and they all want you to sing. I still only sang alongside other people but tackled some difficult songs, my repertoire included 'The Beautiful Ones' by Suede, a couple of Oasis songs, 'Wish you were here' by Pink Floyd, a Beatles Medley, and 'Suck my Kiss' by the Chili Peppers.

No comments: