Saturday, October 14, 2006

Harajuku


Got a train over to Harajuku on one of my days off, Sunday in fact. I'd read it was pretty busy there at the weekends and I wasn't disappointed!

Throngs of people were leaving the station and just hanging around in the streets, decided to skip that area initially and went into the grounds surrounding the Meiji Jingu. Had a little wander in what is a suprisingly serene area compare with the main shopping area only a few hundred meters away. Went into the shrine area too, washing my hands, making an offering and a little bit of a bow-bow, clap-clap, bow sequence to bring a bit of good luck. Some sort of wooden tablets outside that you can hang around a tree to help ill friends and relatives, didn't dabble with that though as I couldn't tell what any of them said!

Wandered around the shopping area, or should I say I was carried by the sea of people and went where they wanted to take me. Then popped back to the entrance to the shrines grounds to take a few pics of the teens. Harajuku has a well deserved reputation for being the hang-out of...hmmm shall we say...teens who don't conform on the fashion stakes. A few pretty extreme outfits but nothing too shocking. Bit like goths with more imagination!

More pics at http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/davingtonsmythe/Harajuku/

No comments: