Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mumsie Comes to Japan


My mum came to Japan for a couple of weeks so I was a bit of a tour guide around Tokyo, then we went onto Kyoto and Hiroshima. This was back in ... hmmm ... November so i'm pretty slow in putting these up. I started writing this post back then, hence the November 30th tag on the post.

Kyoto - basically temples. Very nice old temples and pretty trees with autumn colours. But basically just temples. Good for a few days but I don't think I could stay much longer than that.

Hirosahima - Wide streets, nice big parks and promenades, numerous nice shops and bars. Basically because its a new city, which nobody lets you forget as every thing is called 'peace' something. Peace Parks, Peace Streets, Peace Buildings, Peace Monuments, Peace Biscuits, Peace Underpants....O.K I made the last two up but you get the idea. Not that I'm trying to belittle the seriousness of nuclear weapons or the fact that countless innocent people were killed. But basically we know that and everyone will go to the museum anyway so theres no need to ram it down tourists throats in every part of the city.
The museum was interesting but could have been half the size and as effective. Auschwitz was better.....hmmm...maybe that came out wrong.

As usual there are more photos if you click the title. More holidays and photos coming soon.

1 comment:

Tuesdy chit chat said...

awesome stories! I like it;)